A Montessori Heart

"One test of the correctness of educational procedure is the happiness of the child itself." Maria Montessori

1.28.2009

Things so far

It turns out that I am not the only one who feels a little lost in the classroom. According to my assistant the previous lead teacher kept slim to virtually non-existent records of the children. In addition to that she was pretty slow in presenting new material to the children and at the same time very strict with them about what they could take from the shelves. So, as a result the children are bored with what they know, ready for anything new, and probably a little nervous about what they can and cannot take from the shelves.

And so we've decided that for the next month or so we need to basically asses the children and present as much new material as we can so that we can both know where the children are.

So far I've been stressed out over all the work that needs to be done and not feeling much up for the challenge. But the grandmother of my oldest girl told me reported something her granddaughter had said that was a big shot in the arm: "I miss Miss R [previous teacher] but then I look at Miss T [me] and I smile."

2 comments:

  1. Here are my suggestions: 1) If you can get into the school on the weekend. Go in and set up the classroom the way YOU want it. If possible, take suggestions from the children. Of course, you don't want to throw the children completely off, but you really can't teach in an environment where you don't know where things are, etc. 2) Don't crowd the shelves, take off all "advanced" materials (but leave space for them) until you assess where the children are 3) Have your assistant help you orient the children to the "new" classroom in small groups. It can be as simple as, "If you're looking for the pink tower, it's by this shelf now" or more complex, "We no longer use this material. If you would like to do XYZ, let me show you.." The first classroom (not the one I'm currently in) I took over had a ton of odd, non-Montessori things in it. 4) Try to assess some of the children in small group lessons. This will save you some time. 5) If you need good record keeping sheets, email me and I can get them to you somehow :) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with P.S.Montessori. I think you will find it easier in the long run if you just put the classroom the way you think you want it in one fell swoop. You will definitely find that you want to change it again once you've had the children in for a while but that is normal. I think it will be easier for the children to cope if you start as you want to go on and give them orientation lessons to start with.

    My best advice came from my present boss - Keep them close. When we start with new children we don't allow them the run of the room or independent choice to begin with. We start with group lessons and activities. As we observe the children we see the ones that are ready to be sent to choose something, usually from the practical life shelf. The group lessons that we concentrate on are how to roll/unroll a work mat, walking around mats on the floor, how nto choose a work from the shelf, and put it back in the same place ready for the next person. We also do a group lesson on the rules of the classroom. Ours are 1. Use indoor voices. 2. Use a mat to work on (that's at a table as well as on the floor) 3. Ask if some-one would like to work with you and accpet gracefully if the answer is no(!). 4. Walk around the classroom. 5. If you work with some-one then only 2 people can work together no more.

    These are the rules my class came up with because these were the things they need most to remember. I am quite proud that they didn't need Use kind words, or Hands are for working not hitting! We don't have that problem this year!

    All these things will help your children find their way around their new classroom and they'll settle very quickly once they realise it IS their classroom. That is something we're very big on - it gives a sense of ownership and pride!

    I hope it is going well. Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete