A Montessori Heart

"One test of the correctness of educational procedure is the happiness of the child itself." Maria Montessori

1.15.2009

Surprise!

Last week, I got a call from the director of my new school asking if I might be able to begin teaching not in June but as soon as possible.

On Tuesday I spent the day with my new students, mostly observing. When the children began their morning work session I was was so confused because every child (with one or two exceptions) were writing away on worksheets or in notebooks. One little girl was happily working out a United States puzzle when the assistant teacher stooped down and asked that she fill out a corresponding worksheet when she had finished the puzzle. I assume that all of this paperwork is because of the parents. Ugh!
Although my director is almost as idealistic as I am and completely supportive of me she told me to pick my battles with the parents and that the homework/worksheet thing might not be worth the battle.

The class has a little ways to go towards being truly a Montessori classroom and I am so excited to get it there albeit with some hard work.

I start as the official lead teacher the last week of the month.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the Blogosphere! I'm excited for your teaching position, but let me offer a little bit of advice. Since you haven't finished your training, be careful! It's very easy for Montessori teachers to develop bad habits. Rely on your trainers and albums for pedagogy. Always do what is best for the individual child. I know you'll do a great job. If you have a question or need to vent, just give a holler :)

    ReplyDelete